Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
The Fulbright Commission in Egypt is pleased to announce the AY2020-2021 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. This one-year Fellowship program is offered to young and mid-career professionals who have a proven track record of leadership, a public service commitment, and the capacity to benefit from a program of independent non-degree study at a leading U.S. university, as well as a wide variety of professional development activities, including conducting independent projects, participating in an internship or a professional affiliation, meetings and consultations with U.S. faculty or experts, field trips, and special seminars. The Humphrey Program was initiated in 1978 to honor the memory and accomplishments of the late Senator and Vice President, Hubert H. Humphrey.
Eligible Fields (Only the below fields are eligible for Egypt):
Democratic Institution Building:
- Human Resource Management
- Law and Human Rights
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Technology Policy and Management
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Higher Education Administration
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Public Health Policy and Management
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Economic Development
- Finance and Banking
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
Please click here to read more details about each field.
- Egyptian citizenship; holders of U.S. green cards and/or passports are ineligible.
- Applicants must reside in Egypt starting from the application process and throughout the selection, placement and pre-departure processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of study.
- Five years of full-time professional experience. Demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service. Applicants should be at a point in their careers to fully benefit from this professional development program.
- Demonstrated English language ability with a minimum valid Local TOEFL (ITP) score of 525 from AMIDEAST or any of the ETS approved centers (see below list of approved testing centers); or 71 Internet-based TOEFL (iBT); or IELTS score of 6. (Important note: Candidates who meet all Humphrey program requirements but lack the necessary language skills are encouraged to apply. If nominated and selected, they will travel to the U.S. for an intensive 20-25 week pre-academic English program to improve their language skills. A minimum valid Local TOEFL (ITP) score of 450 from AMIDEAST; or any of the ETS approved centers; or Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) score of 45 or IELTS score of 5 is required.)
- A TOEFL score is valid for two years and exams are held at AMIDEAST or any of the ETS approved centers listed in the following table.
- Limited prior experience in the U.S. (individuals who have resided in the U.S. for more than six months since August 2015 are not eligible to apply).
- Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants have to successfully complete all the steps of the assessment and selection process and successfully finalize all required procedures.
- Note: Preference will be given to applicants without significant recent experience in the U.S. and/or overseas.
- Note: Academics with no administrative or management responsibilities, or who do not have professional experience within their field of specialization, are ineligible (except in the field of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment).
- The following persons and their immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) are ineligible to apply during and for a period ending one year following the termination of such employment: employees of the U.S. Department of State; local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees at organizations implementing exchange programs for the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the Department of State; as well as Board Members or staff of a Fulbright Commission or their families (up to fourth kin).
|Test Type||Test Center Name||Location of Test Center|
|TOEFL ITP||AMIDEAST||Cairo – Alexandria|
|Tamkeen New Era||Mansoura|
|The Scientific Center for Consultations and Development||Beni-Suef|
|Skills Castle||Benha – Tanta|
|American Center for Continuing Education||Assiut|
|The American Language Center||Damietta|
|El Manara International Academy||Minya|
|Suez Language and Computer Center||Suez|
|The American Canadian Center||Menoufia|
|TOEFL iBT||Please check available test centers at: https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register||Various governorates across Egypt|
|Academic/General Training IELTS||British Council||Cairo – Alexandria|
|IDP Center||Cairo – Alexandria|
- International and domestic travel
- Maintenance stipend
- Settling-in allowance
- Books allowance
- Tuition and fees when applicable
- Professional development allowance
- Health benefits coverage
AY2020-2021 PROGRAM TIMELINE:
|April 17, 2019||Program Announcement|
|July 17, 2019||Deadline for submitting online applications|
|July 2019||Application Review|
|September 2019||Personal Interviews (Only for shortlisted applicants)|
|October 2019||Official Nomination/Regret Letters (Applicants will be notified via email)|
|March/April 2020||Final Selection|
|June 2020||Pre-Departure Orientation|
|August 2020||Departure Date (Only for Fellows who successfully completed all above stages)
Note: If Long-Term English program is needed, Fellows will travel starting from April 2020.