Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
The Fulbright Commission in Egypt is pleased to announce the annual competition for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. This one-year Fellowship program is offered to young and mid-career professionals who have a proven track record of leadership, a public service commitment, and the capacity to benefit from a program of independent non-degree study at a leading U.S. university, as well as a wide variety of professional development activities, including conducting independent projects, participating in an internship or a professional affiliation, meetings and consultations with U.S. faculty or experts, field trips, and special seminars. The Humphrey Program was initiated in 1978 to honor the memory and accomplishments of the late Senator and Vice President, Hubert H. Humphrey.
Eligible Fields: (In alphabetical order)
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Economic Development
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Finance and Banking
- Higher Education Administration
- Human Resource Management
- Law and Human Rights
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Climate Change
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Public Health Policy and Management
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
- Technology Policy and Management
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Egyptian citizenship; holders of U.S. green cards and/or passports are ineligible.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of study.
- Young & mid-career professionals who show leadership ability and potential for professional advancement.
- Candidates must have a minimum of five years full-time professional experience (prior to August 2019), after completing a university degree. Applicants should be at a point in their careers to fully benefit from this professional development program.
- Candidates should be proficient in both spoken and written English with a minimum valid Local TOEFL (ITP) score of 525, or 71 Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) or IELTS 6.
- Long-Term English (LTE) language training: Candidates who meet all Humphrey program requirements but lack the necessary language skills are encouraged to apply. If nominated and selected they will travel to the U.S. for an intensive 20-25 week pre-academic English program to improve their language skills. A minimum valid Local TOEFL (ITP) score of 450 from AMIDEAST or any of the ETS approved centers, or Internet-based (IBT) score of 45 or IELTS score of 5 is required.
- A TOEFL score is valid for two years and exams are held at AMIDEAST or any of the ETS approved centers listed below:
|AMIDEAST/ETS Approved Centers||Designated Governorates|
|AMIDEAST Egypt – Cairo||Cairo|
|AMIDEAST Egypt – Alexandria||Alexandria|
|American Canadian Center||Menoufia , Kafr El Sheikh, Qalubiya, & Gharbia|
|The American Language Center||Damietta|
|MASRYA||Sohag, Assuit, New Valley, Qena, Luxor, & Aswan|
- Limited prior experience in the U.S. (individuals who have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2019; and individuals with other recent U.S. experience of any kind – more than six months during the five years prior to August 2019 – are not eligible).
- Applicants must reside in Egypt starting the application process until the travel date (in case of selection).
- Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants have to successfully complete all the steps of the assessment and selection process and successfully finalize all required procedures.
Note: Academics with no administrative or management responsibilities, or who do not have professional experience within their field of specialization, are ineligible (except in the field of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment).
- International and domestic travel
- Maintenance stipend
- Settling-in allowance
- Books allowance
- Tuition and fees when applicable
- Professional development allowance
- Health benefits coverage
Preference will be given to applicants without significant recent experience in the U.S. and/or overseas