Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
The Fulbright Commission in Egypt is pleased to announce the annual competition for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. This one-year Fellowship program is offered to young and mid-career professionals who have a proven track record of leadership, a public service commitment, and the capacity to benefit from a program of independent non-degree study at a leading U.S. university, as well as a wide variety of professional development activities, including conducting independent projects, participating in an internship or a professional affiliation, meetings and consultations with U.S. faculty or experts, field trips, and special seminars. The Humphrey Program was initiated in 1978 to honor the memory and accomplishments of the late Senator and Vice President, Hubert H. Humphrey.
More information about the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program: www.humphreyfellowship.org
Eligible Fields (Only the below fields are eligible for Egypt):
- Human Resource Management
- Law and Human Rights
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Technology Policy and Management
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Higher Education Administration
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Public Health Policy and Management
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
- Contagious and Infectious Diseases
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Economic Development
- Finance and Banking
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
Please click here to read more details about each field.
- Egyptian citizenship
- Currently residing in Egypt; applicants must reside in Egypt starting from the application process and throughout the selection, placement and pre-departure processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of study.
- Five years of full-time professional experience. Demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service.
- Proof of English Language proficiency from any of the approved test centers below. Applicants must submit a valid score report for only one of the following tests:
- TOEFL (ITP) – minimum score 525
- TOEFL (iBT) – minimum score 71
- IELTS – minimum score 6.0
- Duolingo English Test – minimum score 90
- English Proficiency Test from Egyptian Universities – minimum score 525
Important note: Candidates who meet all Humphrey program requirements but lack the necessary language skills are encouraged to apply. If nominated and selected they will travel to the U.S. for an intensive 20-25 week pre-academic English program to improve their language skills.
- TOEFL (ITP) – minimum score 450
- TOEFL (iBT) – minimum score 45
- IELTS – minimum score 5.0
- Duolingo English Test – minimum score 60
- English Proficiency Test from Egyptian Universities – minimum score 450
- Limited prior experience in the U.S.
- Individuals who have resided in the U.S. for more than six months since August 2017 are not eligible to apply.
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the U.S. for one academic year or more during the last seven years prior to August 2022 are ineligible.
- Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants have to successfully complete all the steps of the assessment and selection process and successfully finalize all required procedures.
- Note: Academics with no administrative or management responsibilities, or who do not have professional experience within their field of specialization, are ineligible (except in the field of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment).
- The following persons and their immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) are ineligible to apply during and for a period ending one year following the termination of such employment: employees of the U.S. Department of State; local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees at organizations implementing exchange programs for the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the Department of State; as well as Board Members or staff of a Fulbright Commission or their families (up to fourth kin).
- U.S. citizens and green card holders and applicants are not eligible to apply.
Valid English language proficiency score reports may be submitted only from one of the following:
|Test Type||Test Center Name||Location of Test Center|
|TOEFL ITP||AMIDEAST||Cairo – Alexandria|
|Skills Castle||Benha – Tanta|
|American Center for Continuing Education||Assiut|
|The American Canadian Center||Menoufia|
|TOEFL iBT||Please check available test centers at: https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register||Various governorates across Egypt|
|Academic/General Training IELTS||British Council||Cairo – Alexandria|
|IDP Center||Cairo – Alexandria|
|Duolingo English Test||https://englishtest.duolingo.com/||Online|
|English Language Proficiency Test officially administered by an Egyptian national university||Egyptian Universities||Various governorates across Egypt|
Required Documents: (All documents must be submitted online by no later than July 3, 2021. Please carefully read the Application Guidelines)
- Online Application
- Copies of certificates and transcripts for all post-secondary degrees in English
- Two Recommendation Letters. (Please read the application guidelines carefully from the link below for details about the recommendation letters)
- Minimum TOEFL ITP of 525 or its equivalent iBT (71), or IELTS (6.0), or Duolingo (90) or an English Proficiency Test from Egyptian Universities (525) from any of the centers in the table above
- Scanned copy of the original valid National ID
- Personal Photo
- Scanned copies of any previous U.S. J1 or J2 visas (if applicable)
Important: The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program seeks applicants that have developed a sense of personal integrity and are original thinkers. Copying someone else’s writing, whether from the Internet, from a book or from a friend is considered plagiarism. Any quoted words or sentences should include a citation. An applicant who is found to have plagiarized in any form (including unintentional or accidental plagiarism) in his or her application will be disqualified. For further information about plagiarism and citation, please click on the following link: https://fulbright-egypt.org/resources/. All content in applications must be the applicant’s original contribution and his/her own intellectual property. Having someone else write or contribute to the writing of an individual’s application, either fully or partially, does not uphold the standards of integrity expected of Fulbrighters and may result in the ineligibility of your application.
- International and domestic travel
- Maintenance stipend
- Settling-in allowance
- Books allowance
- Tuition and fees when applicable
- Professional development allowance
- Health benefits coverage
AY2022-2023 Program Timeline
|February 1, 2021||Program Announcement|
|July 3, 2021||Deadline for submitting online applications|
|July, August 2021||Application Review|
|September 2021||Personal Interviews (Only for shortlisted applicants)|
|October 2021||Official Nomination/Regret Letters (Applicants will be notified via email)|
|November 2021||TOEFL iBT testing (Only for semi-finalist candidates)|
|March / April 2022||Final Selection (Only for principal semi-finalists)|
|June 2022||Pre-Departure Orientation (Only for principal semi-finalists)|
|July / August 2022||Departure Date (Only for selected applicants who successfully completed all above stages)
Note: If Long-term English program is needed, grantees will travel starting from April 2022