Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
The Fulbright Commission invites applications for the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program. The FLTA program provides early career teachers of English as a Foreign Language, or of related fields such as American Studies, or English/American Literature, the opportunity to refine their teaching skills, increase their English language proficiency and broaden their knowledge of the society and culture of the United States, while strengthening the instruction of foreign languages at colleges and universities in the United States. Applications from teachers in the fields of journalism and media studies will also be considered on a case-by-case basis. FLTAs from Egypt assist in the teaching of Arabic at select U.S. universities during their nine-month non-degree grant beginning in August/September 2021. The participants also interact with their host communities in conversation groups, extracurricular activities, and community outreach projects.
The FLTA Program promotes cross-cultural understanding in the U.S. and in the home countries of the FLTA fellows. U.S. universities benefit from the presence of a native speaker on their campuses. FLTA fellows provide teaching assistance by serving in various capacities, which may include teaching up to two Arabic classes at host institutions per semester, and typically facilitating cultural events, language clubs and language tables. FLTA fellows are required to enroll in at least two courses per semester, one of which must be in U.S. Studies.
The FLTA is a nine-month, non-degree program that is non-renewable. No dependents are allowed to accompany fellows on this program.
- Egyptian citizenship; holders of U.S. green cards and/or passports are ineligible.
- Applicants must reside in Egypt starting from the application process and throughout the selection, placement and pre-departure processes.
- Early career teachers or those training to become teachers of English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) or English as a Second Language (ESL), or of American Studies, English/American literature, Linguistics, or Journalism and Media Studies, who have a maximum of 7 years’ teaching experience of English.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Fluency in spoken and written English with a minimum Institutional TOEFL (Local ITP) score of 550, or its iBT 79-80, or IELTS 6.0 equivalent. A TOEFL score is valid for two years and exams are held at AMIDEAST or any of the ETS approved centers listed below.
- Applicants have to successfully complete all the steps of the application, assessment, and selection process and successfully finalize all required procedures.
- The following persons and their immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) are ineligible to apply during and for a period ending one year following the termination of such employment: employees of the U.S. Department of State; local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees at organizations implementing exchange programs for the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the Department of State; as well as Board Members or staff of a Fulbright Commission or their families (up to fourth kin).
Note: Preference will be given to applicants without prior significant experience in the U.S. and/or overseas.
Authorized TOEFL and IELTS Testing Centers in Egypt
|Test Type||Test Center Name||Location of Test Center|
|TOEFL ITP||AMIDEAST||Cairo – Alexandria|
|Skills Castle||Benha – Tanta|
|American Center for Continuing Education||Assiut|
|Suez Language and Computer Center||Suez|
|Badr University||Badr City, Cairo|
|The American Canadian Center||Menoufia|
|TOEFL iBT||Please check available test centers at: https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register||Various governorates across Egypt|
|Academic/General Training IELTS||British Council||Cairo – Alexandria|
|IDP Center||Cairo – Alexandria|
Required Documents: (All documents must be submitted online by no later than July 25, 2020. Please carefully read the Application Guidelines accessible here)
- Online application
- Copies of certificates and transcripts for all post-secondary degrees in English
- Three recommendation letters
- Minimum TOEFL ITP of 550 or its equivalent iBT (79-80), or IELTS (6.0) from any of the centers in the table above
- CV with detailed contact information
- Scanned copy of the original passport (or valid National ID, if passport is not available)
- Scanned copies of any previous U.S. J1 or J2 visas (if applicable)
Important: The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program seeks applicants that have developed a sense of personal integrity and are original thinkers. Copying someone else’s writing, whether from the Internet, from a book or from a friend is considered plagiarism. Any quoted words or sentences should include a citation. An applicant who is found to have plagiarized in any form (including unintentional or accidental plagiarism) in his or her application will be disqualified. For further information about plagiarism and citation, please click on the following link: https://fulbright-egypt.org/resources/. All content in applications must be the applicant’s original contribution and his/her own intellectual property. Having someone else write or contribute to the writing of an individual’s application, either fully or partially, does not uphold the standards of integrity expected of Fulbrighters and may result in the ineligibility of your application.
- International Travel
- Monthly Stipend
- Health Benefits Coverage
- Note: U.S. host institutions provide tuition awards to support the required coursework.
AY2021-2022 Program Timeline
|February 9, 2020||Program Announcement|
|July 25, 2020||Deadline for submitting online applications|
|July 2020 – August 2020||Application Review|
|September 2020||Personal Interviews (Only for shortlisted applicants)|
|October 2020||Official Nomination/Regret Letters (Applicants will be notified via email)|
|November 2020||Post Nomination Orientation (Only for nominated applicants)|
|November – December 2020||TOEFL iBT testing (Only for nominated applicants)|
|April – June 2021||Final Selection|
|July 2021||Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) (Only for selected applicants)|
|July 2021||Arabic PDO (Only for selected applicants who successfully completed all above stages)|
|August 2021||Departure Date (Only for selected applicants who successfully completed all above stages)|