Community College Initiative Program (CCI)
For one year of non-degree study in the U.S.
The CCI Program is designed to support Egyptian young professionals at accredited U.S. community colleges for one academic year of non-degree study. Participants will take academic or professional coursework and gain first-hand practical experience through internships. Participants may earn an academic certificate in their field of study or complete courses that are relevant to their professional goals. Immediately after completing the program, participants are expected to return to Egypt with new skills and expertise to help them contribute to the country’s development and economic growth.
What are community colleges? In the United States, a community college is a two-year post-secondary institution that offers certificate programs, Associate of Arts degrees, Associate of Sciences degrees, plus many other programs.
Program Start Date: Summer of 2019 (July/August 2019).
Fields of Study (Click on each field for more details):
Agriculture (within the following concentration areas):
- Agricultural Geospatial Technology
- Agricultural Production Management
- Animal Science
- Aquaponics, Aquaculture and/or Hydroponics
- Environmental Horticulture and Conservation
- Parks and Natural Resources
- Small Scale Food Production
- Sustainable Agriculture
Applied Engineering (within the following concentration areas):
- Automotive Technology
- Computer Aided Design
- Construction Management
- Electro-Mechanical Technology
- Electrical Technology
- Electrical Systems Maintenance
- Electricity and Electronics Technology
- Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Machine Repair: Automated Systems
- Manufacturing Technology
Business Management and Administration (within the following concentration areas):
- Business Planning
- Small Business Management
- Marketing/Public Relations:
- Customer Service
- Promotions and Public Relations
- Social Media Marketing
- Administrative Professional
- Business Management
- Business Operations Support and Services
- Human Resources
- International/Global Business
- Leadership Development
- Logistics and Global Supply Chain Management
- Organizational Leadership
- Project Management
Early Childhood Education (within the following concentration areas):
- Administration of an Early Childhood Education (ECE) Center
- Early and School-Age Care Specialist
- Early Childhood Education
- Special Education
Information Technology (within the following concentration areas):
- Computer Information Systems (CIS) and Computer Science (CS)
(Programming, Computer Science, Web Design, Games, Excel, Access, SQL, Oracle, or Linux/Unix)
- Computer Internetworking Technologies (CIT)
(Building and repairing computers and networks, Cisco or CompTIA certifications, Computer forensics or network security)
- IT Technician – Desktop Support, Computer Support, Network Technician
Media (within the following concentration areas):
- Digital Media/Animation
- Film Studies/ Motion Picture/ Television
- Graphic Design
- Public & Media Relations
- Social Media Marketing
- Web Design
- Web Development
Public Safety (within the following concentration areas):
- Fire Sciences, Protection and Safety
- Emergency Services
Tourism and Hospitality Management (within the following concentration areas):
- Hospitality and Hotel Management
- Culinary Arts and Restaurant Management
- Meeting, Event, and Exhibition Planning
- Egyptian Citizenship.
- Age between 21 and 30.
- Has completed a secondary (technical or general) degree or its equivalent with a minimum grade of 70%.
- Highest Educational Degree:
- Graduates of Technical Schools/Institutes: 3-year Technical Secondary School; 5-year Technical Secondary School; 2-Year Higher Institute; or General Secondary School
- Bachelor’s degrees: A. holders must have a minimum of 2 years recent work experience in the field of application, which must be other than the field in which the B.A. was attained.
- Minimum valid TOEFL score of 400 (TOEFL ITP), or 32-34 (TOEFL IBT) from AMIDEAST or from one of the official ETS-approved centers listed below, or a minimum valid IELTS score of 4.5.
|American Canadian Center||Menoufia, Kafr El Sheikh, Qalubiya, and Gharbia.|
|The American Language Center||Damietta|
|MASRYA||Sohag, Assiut, New Valley, Qena, Luxor, & Aswan.|
- Has limited or no overseas study experience.
- Is able to receive and maintain a U.S. J-1 visa.
- Is willing and physically able (with accommodations as required) to complete the program in its entirety including activities or travel that may be programmed on any day of the week
- Is currently residing in Egypt and will remain in Egypt from the application date till the program start date.
- Is able to begin the academic exchange program in the U.S. in July/August 2019.
- Male applicants must have military service exemption/postponement at the time of application.
- Is committed to returning to Egypt immediately after completion of the program.
- Women, people with disabilities, and candidates from ALL Egyptian Governorates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be considered Ineligible in the following cases:
- Individuals who have a U.S. citizenship or U.S. green card, or hold dual Egyptian and U.S. citizenship.
- University graduates from the same field of application.
- Lack of TOEFL required score or its equivalent at the time of application submission.
- Individuals currently participating in academic, training, or research programs in the U.S.
- Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of Egypt.
- Individuals who have participated in an exchange visitor program sponsored or funded by the U.S. government for a period of more than six weeks and who have not fulfilled their two-year home residency requirement by the time of application.
- Individuals who have applied for U.S. permanent residency.
- Employees of U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Agency for International Development, or employees at any organization implementing exchange programs for the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the Department of State are ineligible to apply. Previous employees at these organizations are eligible, and may apply, one year after employment has ended.
- Immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) of U.S. Department of State, USAID, or Fulbright Commission employees. Family members are also ineligible for one year following the termination of employment.
- Persons arrested for, charged with, or convicted of a crime (excluding minor traffic violations).
Financial provisions of the grant:
- J-1 visa support.
- Round-trip travel from participant’s home city to host institution in the United States.
- Tuition and mandatory college fees.
- Housing and meals.
- Small allowance for books, materials, and incidental expenses.
- Limited Accident and Sickness coverage that is J-visa compliant.
- A variety of personal and professional development activities.
- Plagiarism or misrepresentation in an application can lead to disqualification at any stage of the program.
- Dependents are not allowed for any part of this grant.
- Program participants cannot undertake paid employment in the U.S. during this grant.
Preference will be given to applicants without significant recent experience in the U.S.