Fulbright U.S. Distinguished Scholar Award
Provides opportunities for senior American scholars (Associate Professor or higher) to teach and/or conduct research at universities or research institutions in Egypt for 3-9 months. Applicants must currently hold a leadership position at their home institution in the U.S. and have a proven research record evident in recent publications in the last three to five years.
All fields are eligible.
- Research, or
- Combined Teaching/Research Grants
- U.S. citizenship: Applicants must hold U.S. citizenship at the time of application. Permanent residence is not sufficient.
- Residency abroad: Applicants who have resided abroad for five or more consecutive years in the six-year period preceding the application deadline are ineligible. A period of nine months or more during a calendar year constitutes a full year.
- Senior scholar (Associate Professor or higher) with current leadership position at their home institution and recent publications in the last three to five years.
- Language requirements: All teaching will be in English; additional language proficiency is not required for teaching grants. For research grants, Arabic or other applicable language proficiency sufficient to complete the research project is required; applicants must complete the language proficiency evaluation. For applicants without Arabic or other applicable language proficiency, feasibility of conducting research in English must be demonstrated in the proposal.
- Prior Fulbright Scholar Awards: Recipients of a Fulbright Scholar award are eligible to apply for another award two years after the date of completion of the previous award. Recipients of a Fulbright Specialist Program grant are not required to adhere to the two-year waiting period before applying for a Fulbright Scholar award. Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously received a Scholar award.
- Department of State employees and their immediate family: Employees and their immediate families (i.e. spouses and dependent children) of the Fulbright Commission in Egypt, the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Agency for International Development, and of public or private organizations under contract to the U.S. Department of State are ineligible to apply for a Fulbright award until one year after termination of such employment.
- International travel allowance
- Maintenance allowance
- Furnished accommodations
- Dependent allowances
- Health benefits coverage
- Other allowances