Fulbright Egyptian Student Program – Islamic Studies
The program provides fully funded grants for graduates of Islamic Studies from relevant faculties at Al-Azhar University or the faculties of Dar Al-Ulum to pursue graduate studies in Islamic Studies in the U.S.
Grant Types: (Applicants may apply to only one grant)
- Master’s Degree: for individuals wishing to pursue a master’s degree in the U.S. for up to 2 years
- Ph.D. Degree: for individuals wishing to pursue a Ph.D. degree in the U.S.
- Visiting Student Researcher: for individuals registered at Ph.D. programs at universities in Egypt to collect data and/or conduct research in the U.S. for 6 to 9 months
- Egyptian citizenship.
- Applicants must reside in Egypt starting from the application process and throughout the selection, placement and pre-departure processes.
- For Master’s degree applicants: Bachelor’s degree, minimum grade of “Good.”
- For Visiting Student Researcher applicants: Proof of registration in a Ph.D. program at a university in Egypt.
- Language requirements:
- For Master’s or Visiting Student Researcher grants:
- TOEFL ITP – minimum required score of 450
- TOEFL iBT – minimum required score of 45
- Academic or General IELTS – minimum overall score of 5.0
- Duolingo English Test – minimum required score of 75
- English Proficiency Test from Egyptian Universities – minimum required score of 450
- For Ph.D. grants applicants:
- TOEFL ITP – minimum required score of 550
- TOEFL iBT – minimum required score of 80
- Academic or General IELTS – minimum overall score of 6.5
- Duolingo English Test – minimum required score of 105
- English Proficiency Test from Egyptian Universities – minimum required score of 550
- For Master’s or Visiting Student Researcher grants:
- Applicants must successfully complete all the steps of the application, assessment, and selection process and successfully finalize all required procedures.
- Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- The following persons and their immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) are ineligible to apply during and for a period ending one year following the termination of such employment: employees of the U.S. Department of State; local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees at organizations implementing exchange programs for the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the Department of State; as well as Board Members or staff of a Fulbright Commission or their families (up to fourth kin).
- U.S. citizens and green card holders and applicants are not eligible to apply.
Note: Preference will be given to applicants without prior significant experience in the U.S. and/or overseas.
English language proficiency score reports may be submitted only from one of the following:
|Test Type||Test Center Name||Location of Test Center|
|TOEFL ITP||AMIDEAST||Cairo – Alexandria|
|International Business Development Academy (IBDA)|
|Skills Castle||Benha – Tanta|
|American Center for Continuing Education||Assiut|
|TOEFL iBT||Please check available test centers at: https://www.ets.org/toefl/test-takers/ibt/take/register||Various governorates across Egypt|
|Academic/General Training IELTS||British Council||Cairo – Alexandria|
|IDP Center||Cairo – Alexandria|
|Duolingo English Test||https://englishtest.duolingo.com/||Online|
|English Language Proficiency Test officially administered by an Egyptian national university||Egyptian Universities||Various governorates across Egypt|
|Note: All language tests are valid for two years only.|
Required Documents: (All documents must be uploaded to the online application by no later than June 28, 2022. Please carefully read the Application Instructions)
- Online Application
- Copies of certificates and transcripts for all post-secondary degrees in English
- For Master’s degrees or Visiting Student Researcher grants applicants: minimum valid TOEFL (ITP) score of 450; TOEFL iBT (45); IELTS (5.0); Duolingo (75); or an English Proficiency Test from Egyptian Universities (450)
- For Ph.D. degrees applicants: minimum valid TOEFL (ITP) score of 550; TOEFL iBT (80); IELTS (6.5); Duolingo (105); or an English Proficiency Test from Egyptian Universities (550)
- For Visiting Student Researcher applicants: Proof of registration in a Ph.D. program at a university in Egypt
- Three recommendation letters
- Scanned copy of the original valid national ID
- Personal photo
- Scanned copies of any previous U.S. J1 or J2 visas (if applicable)
Important: The Fulbright Egyptian Student Program seeks applicants that have developed a sense of personal integrity and are original thinkers. Copying someone else’s writing, whether from the Internet, from a book or from a friend is considered plagiarism. Any quoted words or sentences should include a citation. An applicant who is found to have plagiarized in any form (including unintentional or accidental plagiarism) in his or her application will be disqualified. For further information about plagiarism and citation, please click on the following link: https://fulbright-egypt.org/resources/. All content in applications must be the applicant’s original contribution and his/her own intellectual property. Having someone else write or contribute to the writing of an individual’s application, either fully or partially, does not uphold the standards of integrity expected of Fulbrighters and may result in the ineligibility of your application.
- Travel allowance
- Health benefits coverage
- University tuition
- Other allowances
AY2023-2024 Program Timeline
|February 1, 2022||Program Announcement|
|June 28, 2022||Deadline for submitting online applications with all supporting documents|
|July – August 2022||Application Review|
|September/October 2022||Personal Interviews (Only for shortlisted applicants)|
|October/November 2022||Official Nomination/Regret Letters (Applicants will be notified via email)|
|Post Nomination Orientation (Only for Semi-Finalist and Alternate candidates)|
|November 2022 – January 2023||TOEFL iBT and GRE/GMAT testing (Only for Semi-Finalist and Alternate candidates)|
|University Placement Process (Only for Semi-Finalist and Alternate candidates)|
|April – May 2023||University Selection Process (Only for Semi-Finalists)|
|May/June 2023||Pre-Departure Orientation (Only for Semi-Finalists)|
|July – September 2023||Departure Date (Only for selected applicants who successfully completed all above stages and all program pre-departure requirements)
Note: If Long-term English program is needed, grantees will travel during the period between January to March 2023.