Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program provides opportunities for early career English teachers or professionals in related fields to study for one academic year in the U.S. and to enhance their teaching skills and increase their English language proficiency. Candidates who are teachers or professionals in the fields of American Studies, Journalism and Media, American/ English Literature, and teachers of Arabic as a foreign language will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
FLTA fellows enroll in up to 4 courses in their field of study (and at least one course in American studies), while serving as teaching assistants in Arabic at U.S. colleges and universities, facilitating in-person or virtual cultural events, language clubs or language tables. FLTA participants also interact with their host communities in conversation groups, extracurricular activities, and community outreach projects.
The FLTA is a nine-month, non-degree, non-renewable program. No dependents are allowed to accompany fellows on this program.
- Egyptian citizenship.
- Currently residing in Egypt; applicants must reside in Egypt starting from the application process and throughout the selection, placement and pre-departure processes.
- Early career teachers or those training to become teachers, as well as professionals in the following fields:
- English Language and English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- American Studies
- English/American literature
- Journalism and Media Studies
- Arabic as a Foreign Language (TAFL)
- Maximum of 7 years teaching experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Proof of English Language proficiency from any of the approved test centers below. Applicants must submit a valid score report for only one of the following tests:
- TOEFL ITP – minimum required score of 550
- TOEFL iBT – minimum required scores of 79-80
- Academic or General IELTS – minimum overall score of 6.0 (no required score for each section)
- Duolingo English Test – minimum required score of 105
- English Proficiency Test from Egyptian Universities – minimum required score of 550
- Applicants have to successfully complete all the steps of the application, assessment, and selection process and successfully finalize all required procedures.
- The following persons and their immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) are ineligible to apply during and for a period ending one year following the termination of such employment: employees of the U.S. Department of State; local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees at organizations implementing exchange programs for the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs; as well as Board Members or staff of a Fulbright Commission or their families (up to fourth kin).
- U.S. citizens and green card holders and applicants are not eligible to apply.
Note: Preference will be given to applicants without prior significant experience in the U.S. and/or overseas.
Valid English language proficiency score reports may be submitted only from one of the following:
|Test Type||Test Center Name||Location of Test Center|
|TOEFL ITP||AMIDEAST||Cairo – Alexandria|
|Skills Castle||Benha – Tanta|
|American Center for Continuing Education||Assiut|
|TOEFL iBT||Please check available test centers at: https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register||Various governorates across Egypt|
|Academic/General Training IELTS||British Council||Cairo – Alexandria|
|IDP Center||Cairo – Alexandria|
|Duolingo English Test||https://englishtest.duolingo.com/||Online|
|English Language Proficiency Test officially administered by an Egyptian national university||Egyptian Universities||Various governorates across Egypt|
Online application.Required Documents: (All documents must be submitted online by no later than July 26, 2021. Please carefully read the Application Guidelines)
- Copies of certificates and transcripts for all post-secondary degrees in English.
- Three recommendation letters.
- Minimum TOEFL ITP of 550 or its equivalent iBT (79-80), or IELTS (6) from any of the centers in the table above, or Duolingo (105) or an English Proficiency Test from Egyptian Universities (550)
- Detailed C.V. with clear contact information.
- Scanned copy of the original passport (or valid National ID, if passport is not available).
- Scanned copies of any previous U.S. J1 or J2 visas (if applicable).
- Personal Photo.
Important: The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program seeks applicants that have developed a sense of personal integrity and are original thinkers. Copying someone else’s writing, whether from the Internet, from a book or from a friend is considered plagiarism. Any quoted words or sentences should include a citation. An applicant who is found to have plagiarized in any form (including unintentional or accidental plagiarism) in his or her application will be disqualified. For further information about plagiarism and citation, please click on the following link: https://fulbright-egypt.org/resources/. All content in applications must be the applicant’s original contribution and his/her own intellectual property. Having someone else write or contribute to the writing of an individual’s application, either fully or partially, does not uphold the standards of integrity expected of Fulbrighters and may result in the ineligibility of your application.
- International Travel
- Monthly Stipend
- Health Benefits Coverage
Note: U.S. host institutions provide tuition awards to support the required coursework.
AY2022-2023 Program Timeline
|February 1, 2021||Program Announcement|
|July 26, 2021||Deadline for submitting online applications|
|July 2021 – August 2021||Application Review|
|September 2021||Personal Interviews (Only for shortlisted applicants)|
|October/November 2021||Official Nomination/Regret Letters (Applicants will be notified via email)|
|November 2021||Post Nomination Orientation (Only for Semi-Finalists)|
|November – December 2021||TOEFL iBT testing (Only for Semi-Finalists)|
|April 2022 – June 2022||Placement Process for Semi-Finalist Candidates|
|July 2022||Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) (Only for principal Semi-Finalists)|
|July 2022||Arabic PDO (Only for semi-finalists principals who successfully completed all above stages)|
|August 2022||Departure Date (Only for selected applicants who successfully completed all above stages)|