Junior Faculty Development Program
The 2018 Fulbright Junior Faculty Development Program will bring young professors from Egypt to U.S. institutions for faculty development, mentoring, and cultural exchange activities in the fields of Renewable Energy and Engineering, Teaching of English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), and Public Health from July 8 through September 16, 2018. During this 10 week program, professors will be introduced to new teaching and research methods, observe classes, attend seminars, and develop linkages with American faculty through weekly mentoring sessions. On-going community engagement with university-identified host families, volunteers, or others in the broader local community will facilitate the professors’ participation in outreach activities, including visits to historical sites and attendance at cultural events. While introduction to new research methods in the scholars’ disciplines does constitute one component of the Fulbright Junior Faculty Development Program, the program is not intended to provide a venue for individual research projects.
The Fulbright Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
- Build higher education capacity in Egypt through faculty development and mentoring for junior professors.
- Foster long-term collaboration and institutional linkages between Egyptian and U.S. academics.
- Promote mutual understanding between Egyptians and Americans by facilitating the scholars’ engagement with the broader host campus community.
Eligible Fields (Applicants from Egypt can only apply in one of the following fields):
- Renewable Energy and Engineering (Solar, Wind, Hydro-electric, Biofuel, Geothermal): Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering as related specifically to Renewable Energy (does not include Petroleum or Nuclear energy/engineering fields).
- Public Health: Epidemiology, Nutritional Science, Health Care Administration, Family and Community Health, Occupational Health.
- TEFL/Linguistics: TEFL, TESOL, Linguistics (does not include literature, American literature, American studies)
- Resident and citizen of Egypt.
- U.S. citizens and holders of U.S. green cards/passports are ineligible.
- Full-time Egyptian faculty member at an Egyptian university or other institution of higher learning in Egypt (must be a degree granting institution, offering at least a bachelor’s degree).
- Must be residing in Egypt at the time of application submission and throughout the interview and selection phases leading up to the date of departure.
- Minimum of MA/MS degree with at least five years of university-level teaching experience, or a PhD and no more than five years of university-level teaching experience after having received the PhD degree.
- MA/MS degree holders currently enrolled in a doctoral program must possess at least three years of university-level teaching experience.
- Excellent command of English.
- Commitment to classroom teaching and desire to strengthen teaching and leadership skills.
- Scholar’s academic focus must be in one of the program’s offered academic discipline cohorts.
- Must be available to travel to the United States and participate for the duration of the program July 8 – September 16, 2019.
- Egyptian government officials are ineligible
Preference will be given to applicants without significant recent experience in the U.S. and/or overseas.
- Administrative stipend.
- Travel allowance and professional development funds.
- Furnished, individual apartment-style housing.
- Travel and accommodations for a re-entry workshop to be hosted in Washington, D.C.
- Round-trip international airfare to the U.S.
- Accident and sickness insurance for the duration of the study program.
Dependents including spouses and children cannot accompany the scholar to the U.S. for this program.
Important Application Information:
- A complete application will require completing the online application form in addition to uploading supplementary documents.
- To ensure you submit a complete application, please read and follow the application instructions and supplementary guidelines carefully.
- You are not required to complete the application in one sitting; please make note of your login and password so you can return to the application.
- Once you submit the application, you are no longer allowed to make any changes to your information. Please review and proofread the entire application before submission.
Preference will be given to applicants without significant recent experience in the U.S.
Program Opens in September 2018
Contact InformationEmail: email@example.com
Tel: (202) 33359717 / 33365300 / 33357978 ext. 332