2020 Junior Faculty Development Program (JFDP)
The 2020 Fulbright Junior Faculty Development Program will bring young faculty members from Egypt to U.S. institutions for faculty development, mentoring, and cultural exchange activities in the fields of Renewable Energy and Engineering and Information Technology from June 30 through September 8, 2020. During this 10-week program, faculty members will be introduced to new teaching and research methods, observe classes, attend seminars, and develop linkages with American faculty through weekly mentoring sessions. On-going community engagement with university-identified host families, volunteers, or others in the broader local community will facilitate the scholars’ participation in outreach activities, including visits to historical sites and attendance at cultural events. While introduction to new research methods in the scholars’ disciplines does constitute one component of the Fulbright Junior Faculty Development Program, the program is not intended to provide a venue for individual research projects.
The Fulbright Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
- Build higher education capacity in Egypt through faculty development and mentoring for junior faculty members.
- Foster long-term collaboration and institutional linkages between Egyptian and U.S. academics.
- Promote mutual understanding between Egyptians and Americans by facilitating the scholars’ engagement with the broader host campus community.
Grants are not for the principal purpose of:
- Attending conferences
- Completing doctoral dissertations
- Travel and consultation at multiple institutions.
Eligible Fields (Applicants from Egypt can only apply in one of the following fields):
- Renewable Energy and Engineering (Solar, Wind, Hydro-electric, Biofuel, Geothermal): Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering as related specifically to Renewable Energy (does not include Petroleum or Nuclear energy/engineering fields).
- Information Technology: Software Development and Engineering, Network Engineering, High Performance Computing, Information Security, Wireless Networking and Technologies, Cyber Security, Database Systems Technology, Informatics, and Artificial Intelligence (in fields related to IT only).
- Egyptian citizenship; holders of U.S. green cards and/or passports are ineligible. (Must submit scanned copy of original National ID or passport).
- Applicants must reside in Egypt starting from the application process and throughout the selection, placement and pre-departure processes.
- Full-time faculty status at an Egyptian university or other institution of higher learning in Egypt (must be a degree granting institution, offering at least a bachelor’s degree).
- MA/MS degree and at least five years of university-level teaching experience, OR a Ph.D. and no more than five years of university-level teaching experience. MA/MS holders who are currently enrolled in a doctoral program must possess at least three years of university-level teaching experience.
- Proficiency in English sufficient to effectively carry out grant activities in the United States. Although a TOEFL score is not required, applicants must possess a strong command of the English language.
- Commitment to classroom teaching and desire to strengthen teaching and leadership skills.
- Scholar’s academic focus must be in one of the program’s offered academic discipline cohorts.
- Must be available to travel to the United States and participate for the duration of the program from June 30 – September 8, 2020.
- The following persons and their immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) are ineligible to apply during and for a period ending one year following the termination of such employment: employees of the U.S. Department of State; local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees at organizations implementing exchange programs for the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the Department of State; as well as Board Members or staff of a Fulbright Commission or their families (up to fourth kin).
- Applicants have to successfully complete all the steps of the assessment and selection process and successfully finalize all required procedures.
Preference will be given to applicants without prior significant experience in the U.S. and/or overseas.
Important: The Fulbright Junior Faculty Development Program seeks applicants that have developed a sense of personal integrity and are original thinkers. Copying someone else’s writing, whether from the Internet, from a book or from a friend is considered plagiarism. Any quoted words or sentences should include a citation. An applicant who is found to have plagiarized in any form (including unintentional or accidental plagiarism) in his or her application will be disqualified. For further information about plagiarism and citation, please click on the following link: https://fulbright-egypt.org/resources/. All content in applications must be the applicant’s original contribution and his/her own intellectual property. Having someone else write or contribute to the writing of an individual’s application, either fully or partially, does not uphold the standards of integrity expected of Fulbrighters and may result in the ineligibility of your application.
- Administrative stipend.
- Travel allowance and equipment allowance.
- Lodging for program duration.
- Travel and accommodations for a re-entry workshop to be hosted in Washington, D.C.
- Round-trip international travel to the U.S.
- Accident and sickness health benefit coverage for the duration of the program.
Dependents including spouses and children cannot accompany the scholar to the U.S. for this program.
Tentative Dates and Time Frame for Review and Selection:
- Announcement: October 10, 2019
- Application Deadline: December 7, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
- Personal Interviews: January 2020
- Official Nominations/ Regret Letters: March 2020
- Program Start Date: June 30, 2020
- Program End Date: September 8, 2020
Program is Open for Applications
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: (202) 33359717 / 33365300 / 33357978 ext. 319 / 139 / 140
- Mob: 01005449622