FULBRIGHT COMMISSION HOSTS EGYPTIAN RESEARCH INSTITUTES LEADERSHIP INFORMATION SESSION
Cairo – The Binational Fulbright Commission in Egypt (BFCE) hosted an information session on July 9th, 2019 at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Cairo which was attended by 13 Research Institute Presidents, 8 Vice Presidents and other institute representatives, who were joined by leadership from the Ministry of Higher Education and the Academy of Scientific Research. Of these prominent guests six were BFCE alumni.
The Fulbright Program information session which was held under the auspices of Dr. Amr Adly, BFCE Chair of the Board and Deputy Minister for Higher Education and Dr. Yasser Refaat, Deputy Minister for Scientific Research, was organized by the Binational Fulbright Commission in Egypt’s team to mark the 70th anniversary of the prestigious Fulbright Program in Egypt.
The U.S. Department of State-funded Fulbright Program was first offered in Egypt in 1949 through an initiative of the late Senator J. William Fulbright to “bring a little more knowledge, a little more reason, and a little more compassion to world affairs.” BFCE is the largest and oldest Fulbright Commission in the Arab World and the Middle East and North Africa region. BFCE has awarded study, travel, research and teaching grants to over 7,000 Egyptians and 1,000 Americans.
Guests were welcomed by Executive Director, Dr. Maggie Nassif who outlined the goals of the Fulbright Commission in investing in Egypt’s human capital and developing partnerships with the research institutions and centers for innovation to support Egypt’s research and development agenda.
The following prominent participants were in attendance (names are in alphabetical order):
- Dr. Alaa-Eldin Zohir, President of Tabbin Institute for Metallurgical Studies
- Dr. Ashraf Helmy, President of the National Authority for Remote Sensing and Space Sciences
- Dr. Emad Ewais, President of the Central Metallurgical Research and Development Institute
- Dr. Gad El-Qady, Acting President of the National Research Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics
- Dr. Heba Gamal Eldin, Professor at the Institute of National Planning
- Dr. Hesham El Deeb, President of the Electronics Research Institute
- Dr. Khalid El-Zahaby, Chairman of the Housing and Building National Research Center
- Dr. Khalid Yousri, Vice Chairman of the Housing and Building National Research Center
- Dr. Maha El-Demellawy, President of the City of Scientific Research and Technological Applications
- Dr. Mahmoud Sakr, President of the Academy of Scientific Research and Technology
- Dr. Mamdouh Moawad, Vice President for Research Affairs and International Relations of the National Research Centre
- Dr. Osama Ahmed Badary, Chairman of the National Organization for Drug Control and Research
- Dr. Sahar Hafez, Professor at the National Center for Social and Criminological Research
- Dr. Sherif Karawya, President of the Research Institute of Ophthalmology
- Dr. Shireen Assem, Vice President (for Research) of the Agricultural Research Center
- Dr. Shymaa Al-Alkamy, Researcher at the National Center for Educational Research and Development
- Dr. Soad Abd El-Raheem, President of the National Center for Social and Criminological Research
- Dr. Suzan Kholeif, President of the National Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries
- Dr. Wafaa Kandeel, President of Theodor Bilharz Research Institute
- Dr. Waleed El-Zawawy, Secretary General of the Council of Research Centers and Institutes
- Dr. Yasser Moustafa, Acting Director of the Egyptian Petroleum Research Institute